Sr. SQL Database Administrator
Reporting and Working Relationships
Reports to department senior manager or director. This role will work closely with the internal business units, vendors, external consultants, and application support teams to provide a seamless technology support model.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES:
- 50% OPERATIONAL SUPPORT: Act as the primary support resource for SQL databases. Configure and maintain databases, servers and processes, including monitoring of system health, performance, availability, and security.
- Provide application developers with feedback on resource-intensive queries, suggest ways to improve performance. Design indexes for existing applications, proactively monitor query performance.
- Create and manage solutions for business continuity including replication, availability groups, data backup/recovery and archival, etc.
- Understand and support effective schema design, data reporting functionality, and ETL processes.
- Support “Cloud Ready” strategy to migrate infrastructure and DBMS to public cloud providers.
- 35% PROBLEM SOLVING: Work to resolve service interruption’s and participates in root cause analysis post event. Quickly identify trends/issues and recommends possible solutions.
- Provide DBMS problem resolution end-to-end.
- Is readily available when on call. Incorporates analytical thinking and data gathering into problem solving. Understand and participate in budget preparation process for SQL licensing and data operating costs.
- 15% INTERNAL INTERACTIONS: Interacts with all personnel levels including senior leadership. Promote team productivity by sharing industry best practices and by adopting modern approaches.
- Act as a knowledgeable resource to gain respect across the organization.
- Help coordinate data strategy between key resources, gains support for upcoming projects and strategic imperatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or minimum 5 years equivalent experience.
- Excellent experience in MSSQL, SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Server Reporting Services and SQL Server Analysis Services
- Proficient with SQL server profiler for monitoring and troubleshooting database performance
- Ensure the availability, durability, and scalability of database platforms that support applications
- Understand and implement database security policies, encryption, and user/service access controls
- A deep understanding of business continuity related to database backup, recovery, and redundancy strategies
- Ability to triage, execute root cause analysis, and be decisive under pressure, frequent on-call responsibilities
- Thorough understating of database objects, schema modeling, and query execution plans
- Familiarity with at least one of the following is a plus MySQL, PostgreSQL, or MongoDB
- Experience proactively managing storage and utilization of underlying infrastructure
- Experience coaching peer technical professionals to support a culture of growth and learning