Job Description Summary:
Under the direction of the Director of Informatics, the Data Integration Engineer (DIE) will be transformational in bringing Data as a Service (Daas) and true self-service reporting. The DIE will collaborate with our Data Integration Analysts to help transform clinical- and associated practice management, pharmacy and other data, focusing on optimized data workflow and data quality for FCS internal and DaaS customers. The DIE will use knowledge of healthcare data requirements to influence the implementation and governance of our DaaS data architecture. Healthcare data interoperability and data quality domain experience is paramount to the DIE role to help the Informatics team understand use cases, (non)functional and data governance requirements.
As a Data Integration Engineer, you will be responsible for delivering high-quality, low-defect SQL and extract, load, transform (ELT) code on schedule, while assisting with data quality initiatives and database administration tasks. You will use your knowledge of database engineering to provide recommendations, promote database best practices amongst your sprint team, as well as assist with database issue
remediation. The ideal Data Integration Engineer has a blend of healthcare data integration and technical experience developing database solutions that support scalable solutions. As a DIE must be passionate about data quality, test-driven development and genuinely enjoy working in an agile DevOps team environment that continuously promotes knowledge growth to bring robustness, provenance and long-term maintainability of our data platform.
Primary Key Performance Areas
KPA 1 – Data Integration
- Executes extract, load and transforms in cooperation with data analysts oversight to provide data quality to non-data minded colleagues in healthcare domain with excellent communication skills to professionally articulate the high stakes associated with getting the data right.
- Domain specific application of data modeling, data warehousing, business intelligence, ELT development and ability to read, write, maintain and tune SQL queries.
- Works closely with Data Integration Analysts (DIA) and peer engineers/developers to complete planning, development, testing, and implementation of newly solutionized self-service products.
- Cross functional team (CFT) liaison to develop reporting environment, clean up old content, and create new content to drive growth and operational business needs.
- Demonstrates competency with disparate health care data sources for ingestion, metatdata, mappings, ontology management, data catalog management, reference data, rules/hierarchies and normalization.
- Understanding of health IT Data Services technologies and terminologies such as, but not limited to HL7, C-CDA, EDI, FHIR, CDC, ODBC, RDMS and data replication use cases for the betterment of the enterprise.
KPA 2 – Technical Skills
- Extensive experience in SQL stored procedures with ability to author and appreciate eloquent T-SQL
- Strong understanding in data warehouse design (e.g. relational, dimensional modeling) and data mining expertise (SQL Server, Oracle, Snowflake, Document databases (NoSQL), datamarts, etc.)
- In-depth understanding of database management systems, online analytical processing (OLAP) and ELT framework to develop industry best practice heterogenous data source management solutions.
- Create, design, build, deploy and maintain solutions including sub-reports, graphical reports, formula base, well-formatted reports, dashboards and applications (e.g. SSRS, SSAS, PowerBI, Tableau)
- Applies cloud-based data warehousing concepts to enable artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) algorithm development, natural Language Processing (NLP) and patient portal of portals for data
enrichment and clinical decision support application development (e.g. Apache Spark, Data Bricks Notebooks, Python, NoSQL, etc.)
KPA 3 – Data Governance
- Embraces the spectrum of data governance implementation including, but not limited to data accessibility, business glossary, data dictionary, data catalog, reference/master data management, data cleansing, data lineage, enterprise master patient index (EMPI), deidentification, data collaboration to provide a ‘trusted data’ set.
- Holds data capture systems to high standards of data integrity within the source system with oversight of data loads with operations awareness (servers, DBs, etc.) for data analysis and reporting.
- Data pipeline experiences with solutions such as Ataccama, Erwin, Health Catalyst, Informatica, Trillium or Talend
- Strong partnership with data analysts and architects to establish and ensure data quality.
- Contribute to and apply processes/procedures to include code review, testing (unit, system, integration, performance, user acceptance testing (UAT), etc.) and data quality standards to promote efficiency.
KPA 4 – DevOps
- Collaboration with project teams to drive project plan, metrics, specifications, design, development, integration, verification, validation and launch of solutions consistent with organizational development processes.
- Endorse database change automation in CI/CD pipeline to enable reliable, rapid and effortless releases into production to provide agile analytics.
- Enjoys participation in ‘solutionizing’ sessions with the team while also able to work independently in support of organizational initiatives to meet project deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Interact as a team player to advocate for data quality in a fast-paced agile scrum environment
KPA 5 – Evangelization & Mentorship
- Governance first mindset with valuation of people and processes over tools.
- Consult the business regarding educational opportunities, process improvement and business requirements to drive tool selection and consolidation activities.
- Communicate project progress consistently with managers and stakeholders.
- Strong evangelization, mentorship, interpersonal and diplomacy communication skills.
- Creating and delivering technical and project documentation as required throughout the project lifecycle
- Present technical specifics in design and code reviews, ensuring standards are applied.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineer, computer science, technology or another related field. In lieu of degree, 15+ years of experience is required or the equivalent combination for education and experience.
- Valid state Driver’s License for travel to satellite offices and offsite meetings. Compliance with the company Driver Safety Operations and Motor Vehicle Records Check Policy is required.
- Microsoft Azure Certification(s) preferred
- Professional clinical experience within clinical oncology preferred
- 10+ years in an active healthcare big-data integration experience with multiple heterogenous data sources with data cleansing and reference/master data management on an enterprise data warehouse to create a centralized ‘trusted data’ set for data analysis.
- Technical competencies (T-)SQL to create/maintain DB objects, data modeling, SSMS, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, NoSQL, Team Foundational System (TFS), microservices, query/load required data using data governance and data visualization tools.
- Environment competencies with on prem, data centers and Microsoft Azure cloud system tools with appropriations for disaster recovery development and production systems.
- Domain competencies with electronic health record (EHR) (e.g. OncoEMR), practice management (e.g. Centricity), next-generation sequencing (NGS), clinical trial management (CTM), pharmacy specific to antineoplastic medications, laboratory and other healthcare ancillary systems.
- Ability to evaluate and build effective Informatics, BI, database and development teams.
- Work closely with Director of Informatics and business stakeholders to build products that will create the DaaS service line and transform the BI Reporting team.
- Be disciplined in understanding growing and contracting business needs to refactor the team and tool sets to thoughtfully set up the Informatics team for success.
- Profound data governance knowledge of industry best practice and leading software providers to assist in data management, maintenance and support.