Job Description Summary:
Under the direction of the Director of Informatics, the Clinical Data Analyst will be transformational in bringing Data as a Service (Daas), data analytics and self-service reporting. The Clinical Data Analyst is an influential member of our Informatics team to help bring an infinite mindset as to the art of the possible from a ‘trusted data’ perspective. The Clinical Data Analyst must be extremely passionate to deliver healthcare insights to change the standard of care delivered to oncology patients via research and to provide dynamic reports back to the business.
The Clinical Data Analyst works with the Data Integration Analyst and business unit leaders to determine appropriate data transformations to create a trusted enterprise data set to optimize cancer care. The Clinical Data Analyst must embrace the realm of all healthcare interoperability data-driven opportunities to help determine the best operational course for the business. The Clinical Data Analyst is expected to be thrive in an entrepreneurial agile scrum environment.
A Clinical Data Analyst is expected to engage professionally with data stewards across the organization to define appropriate data transformation requirements for downstream product and internal data discovery efforts to directly increase revenue generation. The Clinical Data Analyst will use knowledge of healthcare data requirements to influence the implementation and governance of our data architecture. Healthcare interoperability appreciation is paramount to the Clinical Data Analyst role to help the Informatics team understand use cases, functional- and non-functional requirements, and abide by data governance best practice principles.
Primary Key Performance Areas
KPA 1 – Domain Knowledge
- Ability to perform SQL queries using existing or newly created master data to create oncology cohorts to assist in research use cases.
- Engage with data stewards to understand, analyze complex data systems, define and ensure key data element transformations and hierarchies.
- Firm understanding of healthcare coding standards/systems (e.g. Claims, HL7, RxNorm, ICD 9, ICD 10, LOINC, Medications, UCUM, UMLS, SNOMED CT, etc.) with practical knowledge of clinical terminologies to create and ensure data quality standards are upheld.
- Demonstrates competency with disparate health care data sources for ingestion, metatdata, mappings, ontology management, data catalog management, reference data, rules/hierarchies and normalization.
- Understanding of health IT Data Services technologies and terminologies such as, but not limited to HL7, C-CDA, EDI, FHIR, CDC, ODBC, RDMS and data replication use cases for the betterment of the enterprise.
- Applies concepts to enable artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) algorithm development, natural Language Processing (NLP) and patient portal of portals for data enrichment.
- Understanding of business unit data insights and operations need pertaining a variety of different healthcare domains including: revenue cycle, research, pharmacy, procurement, medical/radiation oncology, accounting/finance, labs, care management, value based care and radiology.
KPA 2 – Data Integration
- Conduct data profiling, data aggregation, mapping, reference data and data governance evangelization activities to educate non-data minded colleagues of domain with superb communication skills to professionally articulate the high stakes associated with getting the data right.
- Domain understanding of data modeling, data warehousing, business intelligence, ELT development and ability to read, write, maintain and tune SQL queries.
- Works closely with BI Developers to complete planning, development, testing, and implementation of new products.
- Critical thinking and logic skills with attention to details and ability to identify root cause for data anomalies and data quality issues.
KPA 3 – Data Governance
- Engages with data stewards throughout the business to collaboratively determine the FCS data standards that will be used in our enterprise data warehouse and for data visualization purposes to optimize the business.
- Embraces the spectrum of data governance implementation including, but not limited to data accessibility, business glossary, data dictionary, data catalog, reference/master data management, data cleansing, data lineage, enterprise master patient index (EMPI), deidentification, data collaboration to provide a ‘trusted data’ set.
- Holds data capture systems to high standards of data integrity within the source system with oversight of data loads with operations awareness (servers, DBs, etc.) for data analysis and reporting.
- Governance first mindset with ability to lead subject domain areas within data steward council in observance of people and processes over tools.
- Consult the business regarding educational opportunities, process improvement and business requirements to drive tool selection and consolidation activities.
KPA 4 – DevOps
- Collaboration with project teams to drive project plan, metrics, specifications, design, development, integration, verification, validation and launch of solutions consistent with organizational development processes.
- Endorse database change automation in CI/CD pipeline to enable reliable, rapid and effortless releases into production to provide agile analytics.
- Enjoys participation in ideation sessions with the team while also able to work independently in support of organizational initiatives to meet project deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong quantitative/qualitative business case analysis skills with the ability to manage multiple competing initiatives in a cross-functional environment.
- Healthcare professional degree qualification (Ph.D., MD., RN., CPhT., RPhT.) preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in business analytics, computer science, engineering, accounting, finance, management information systems or another related field. In lieu of degree, 6+ years of experience is required or the equivalent combination for education and experience.
- Valid state Driver’s License for travel to satellite offices and offsite meetings. Compliance with the
company Driver Safety Operations and Motor Vehicle Records Check Policy is required.
- Professional clinical experience within clinical oncology preferred
- 6+ years in an active healthcare big-data integration experience with multiple heterogenous data sources with data cleansing and reference/master data management on an enterprise data warehouse to create a centralized ‘trusted data’ set for data analysis.
- Technical competencies within data modeler, SQL to create/maintain DB objects, query/load required data using data governance and visualization tools.