Job Description Summary:
Under the direction of the Director of Informatics, the Clinical Data Abstractor will be instrumental in bringing Data as a Service (Daas), data analytics and self-service reporting. The Clinical Data Abstractor is an influential member of our Informatics team to help bring an infinite mindset as to the art of the possible from a ‘trusted data’ perspective. The Clinical Data Abstractor must be extremely passionate to deliver healthcare insights to change the standard of care delivered to oncology patients via research and to provide dynamic reports back to the business.
The Clinical Data Abstractor works with the Project Manager, Clinical Data Analysts, and business unit leaders to improve patient care, processes, and outcomes through data abstraction, analysis, investigation, reporting and follow up. The Clinical Data Abstractor must embrace the realm of all healthcare interoperability data- driven opportunities to help determine the best operational course for the business. The Clinical Data Abstractor is expected to be thrive in an entrepreneurial agile scrum environment.
The Clinical Data Abstractor is expected to engage professionally with others across the organization and outside of the organization to obtain and define appropriate data for abstraction and analysis requirements.
Primary Key Performance Areas
KPA 1 – Data Abstraction
- Ability to enter abstracted data into databases and/or eCRFs accurately and timely.
- Ability to determine what information will be available discretely versus non-discretely in our systems.
- Ability to provide requirements to the Business Intelligence team to query the discrete data needed via SQL queries based on the request for clinical information.
- Ability to organize data for multiple sources, including retrospective and concurrent medical record abstraction.
- Critical thinking and logic skills with attention to details and ability to identify root cause for data anomalies and data quality issues.
- Critical thinking skills to determine the “source of truth” when encountering conflicting data results.
KPA 2 – Clinical Knowledge
- Understanding of business unit data insights and operations need pertaining a variety of different healthcare domains: revenue cycle, research, pharmacy, procurement, medical/radiation oncology, accounting/finance, labs, care management, value-based care and radiology.
- Basic understanding of healthcare coding standards/systems (e.g. Claims, HL7, RxNorm, ICD 9, ICD 10, LOINC, Medications, UCUM, UMLS, SNOMED CT, etc.) with strong knowledge of clinical terminologies to create and ensure data quality standards are upheld.
- Ability to understanding research protocols and ensure requirements are followed.
- Ability to research and understand prescriber information when needed.
- Maintain up to date knowledge regarding treatments most commonly utilized.
- Understanding of and experience with electronic medical records.
KPA 3 – DevOps
- Communicate with appropriate parties when issues with data quality, documentation quality, or clinical care arise.
- Collaboration with project teams to drive project plan, metrics, specifications, design, development, integration, verification, validation and launch of solutions consistent with organizational development processes.
- Enjoys participation in ideation sessions with the team while also able to work independently in support of organizational initiatives to meet project deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong quantitative/qualitative business case analysis skills with the ability to manage multiple competing initiatives in a cross-functional environment.
- Healthcare professional degree qualification (Ph.D., MD., RN., CPhT., RPhT.) preferred.
- A minimum of an associate level degree in nursing or a bachelor’s degree in healthcare, business analytics, computer science, engineering, management information systems or another related field. In lieu of degree, 6+ years of experience is required or the equivalent combination for education and experience.
- Oncology Certified Nurse certification (or similar oncology certification) preferred.
- Certified Tumor Registrar certification preferred.
- Understanding of clinical oncology required.
- Basic ICD-10 coding knowledge required.
- Professional clinical experience within clinical oncology preferred.
- Experience with OncoEMR preferred.
- Understanding of clinical data and data quality needs in ambulatory oncology setting.
- Work closely with Senior Data Integration Analyst, Clinical Data Analysts, and business stakeholders to obtain quality data through queries and manual chart abstraction.
- Proficiency in MS Office Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook required.